Tuesday, May 31, 2011

DIY Powder Laundry Soap

I have been wanting to try making my own powdered laundry detergent ever since I saw the recipe on one of my favorite blogs, http://moneysavingmom.com/ .  After reading through lots of comments and suggestions I felt ready to try it for myself.  

Supplies:
1 bar of soap (Ivory, ZOTE & Fels-Naptha)
1 cup of borax
1 cup of baking soda or washing soda


For my personal laundry powder I am using Ivory soap and baking soda.  I may change it if I find that I am not getting the desired cleanliness for my clothes.  I chose baking soda because its less caustic and acidic.  My daughter Katherine has very sensitive skin and I have to be careful with products that will be on her skin.  I am also going to add white vinegar to my wash/rinse cycle to help with brightening and odors. 

I put my bar of soap in the freezer for about an hour so that it would be easier to grind in my food processor.

I chopped and ground it up for about 1 minute

Once it was all ground up I mixed in the remaining ingredients and Sarah helped me mix everything up

I had a spare canister hanging out in my kitchen that could easily hold two batches and it has a tablespoon scoop that sits on the side so it'll work perfect!




I have washed 5 loads of laundry since making it Saturday, the water does not suds up but the detergent is completely dissolving, which is good.  I am putting the white distilled vinegar into my downy ball and that has been working just fine with no vinegar smell at all.  I just recently ordered some all natural/biodegradable liquid brightener to use so once I get it I'll be using that instead of the vinegar.  

Give it a try, its worth that at least :)



No comments:

Post a Comment